Note: This free tool is so new it's not in the app store yet. But I'm giving you a special link to download it on your iPhone, and make this story your whole family can enjoy and participate in. +++
You craft it (at the last minute, just another thing on the to-do list), you scrounge for the right photos and agonize over the fonts and the formatting and the text, and you send it all the email addresses you can think of. It's done and gone.
This year, why not give yourself some breathing room and try a living Selfish story to recap 2014's most memorable moments in images and text and your hopes for 2015 -- and have fun with your friends and family while you do it?
It's quick and informal. You can start a Selfish story in 1 minute. Pick a cover image, a title, and your first moment wishing everyone a happy holiday. Anything you might decide to add after that is a bonus!
It's interactive: your friends and family everywhere can comment right in your holiday letter from their desktops, laptops, and mobile phones.
It's ongoing. You can start now, today, with that first moment, and share the link. Then you can keep adding highlights and chatting with your loved ones in the comments.
Download Selfish, a brand-spanking-new visual story app on your iPhone. It's not even in the app store yet, so you're looking at the public beta before everyone else gets it!
It's free, as always.
Here's what you'll get when you start your holiday letter as a Selfish story:
- one easy link you can start sharing today
- one easy link you can send or post everywhere including Facebook, Twitter, email, Pinterest
- a gorgeous display of images and text all viewable on the web, or in mobile phones
- if you add more than one image to a moment, it shows on the web as a slideshow!
- just one simple seasonal greeting moment will work great, or
- you can add all the moments of your year if you're a detail person, at any time -- hours, days, weeks -- after you start your story. The link you share doesn't change!
- invites everyone on your mailing list to comment and talk to each other so your holiday letter comes alive
- Do a 12-days of Christmas or Hanukah or Kwanza or New Year's story, or
- Top 10 fun times in 2014
- Best image and happenings of each month of the year
- A moment for each family member -- add as many images and captions as you want. Don't forget Fido. He had a big 2014 too.
- Or, start capturing real-time just what you're doing this holiday: running errands, gazing at decorations, digging out ornaments in the attic, preparing special meals, enjoying the store windows, the snow on the ground, the lights, the trees, the presents, the crowds. What the season means to you. You may find you want to share your real-time holiday letter more widely by the end of the month!
- If you'd like the rest of us to enjoy your holiday letter too, add a hashtag in the text or comments on one of the moments: #holidayletter
Open the app on your iPhone and get started. Happy holidays!