If people in your particular career field or industry don't 'do' meaningful/extensive/basic social media do you think you might make it your competitive advantage?
If no, why not?
I ask because I've been adding to the GlobalNiche homepage the reasons people don't invest in their online presence, and that's one I hear from a lot of people. The people around them aren't doing it.
Something to consider: you might be mistaken about this perception that no one else in your life is doing it. If you're not online in expansive ways you probably aren't in a position to gauge if other people are.
Do any of these reasons sound familiar to you?
- DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START
- NOTHING OF INTEREST OUT THERE FOR ME
- I'M HESITANT TO BECOME VISIBLE
- DON'T WANT TO BE EGOTISTICAL & TALK ABOUT MYSELF
- NO CONNECTION BETWEEN WHAT I DO ONLINE & EFFECTS OFFLINE
- MY OPPORTUNITIES COME FROM CONNECTIONS I ALREADY HAVE
- I'M CONFUSED ABOUT OWNING MY ONLINE PRESENCE
- CAN'T AFFORD TO MAKE MISTAKES ONLINE
- I'M NOT A CREATIVE/TECHY/SOCIAL PERSON
- DON'T WANT TO BLOG OR JOIN A BUNCH OF SITES
- JUST USE SOCIAL MEDIA FOR ENTERTAINMENT
- MY CONTACTS ALREADY KNOW ALL ABOUT ME
- TOO EARLY OR LATE IN MY CAREER OR LIFE TO GET STARTED
- FEEL THE NEED TO BE ONLINE *LESS* NOT *MORE*
- IT'S JUST ONE MORE THING TO DO
- I'M NOT ACCOMPLISHED ENOUGH TO GO PUBLIC
- WAITING TO BE PUBLISHED/DISCOVERED/HIRED/INVITED
- PLAN TO DO IT RIGHT WHEN I NEED IT
- CAN'T RISK HAVING MY WORK STOLEN
- TAKES AWAY TIME FROM MY WORK/FAMILY/RELAXATION
- MY CUSTOMERS/FRIENDS/COLLEAGUES AREN'T ON WEB
- DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE ASSETS NOR HOW TO USE THEM ONLINE
- UNCLEAR ABOUT MY SERIOUS PURPOSE ONLINE
- DON'T WANT TO MIX MY WORK & PRIVATE LIFE
- DON'T WANT TO ANNOY MY CONTACTS BY POSTING A LOT
- NO ONE AROUND ME IS DOING IT
- ADVISED TO WAIT UNTIL VALUE OF SOCIAL MEDIA IS FIGURED OUT
- NO ONE IN MY INDUSTRY THINKS IT'S IMPORTANT
- CAN'T MANAGE IT ALL BY MYSELF
Consider getting started anyway.